I don’t know if you have come by the shop in the past month, but it looks like the circus has arrived! Inside both of our huge front windows there are wooden games, acrobats, clowns, and even a full-size puppet theater with wiggling marionettes…
The entire display was handcrafted and painted by local artist Stephanie Brockway, who has been showing her work all over since 2004. She definitely knows how to craft a beautiful puppet. Each one has it’s own unique look and seems like its right out of the twenties or thirties. All items are available to purchase (prices vary.) Come stop by and see these fanciful creations yourself!
Looking for more circus merriment? How about a huge book on Magic? Fake moustaches? Old-timey taffy? Bright patterned glasses & a vintage clown bell? Here at Flutter, we love the circus- come one, come all!
Good afternoon! This is Summer, your new summertime Sunday shopgirl (I do like the way that sounds.) I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying spending my weekend time in Flutter, surrounded by lovely oddities, gorgeous dresses, and intoxicating scents. And of course, having long conversations with King the shop-cat… he has quite the nightlife when the lights in the store go out, believe me. The tales are epic!
First I’d like to share some photos I have been taking during my time at the shop. I love taking pictures, and Flutter seems to be the perfect place for inspiration, even if just snapped on my iPhone…
Ah, a lovely place to be. And now, some of my favorite new (non-vintage) items I have been absolutely loving (all currently available at Flutter):
1. Tokyomilk’s Dark Bittersweet perfume- one of the best smells ever. There’s nothing quite like smelling as if you’ve been endulging in the finest dark chocolate.
2. The beloved frog prince bottle opener. He just makes me smile.
3. These dried bugs in glass paperweights are both a little eerie and breathtaking.
4. The Encyclopedia of the Exquisite has been fabulous to flip through while at the register. Did you know crickets used to be prized pets and champagne manufacturing was once a very dangerous occupation due to bottles exploding?
5. Another Tokyomilk product I am loving: Kabuki shea butter lotion. It smells like sugared citrus fruit and jasmine flowers and leaves your hands soft as silk.
6. Photobooth Dogs. Dogs. In photobooths. Need I say more?
7. I want to take these alphabet discs and hang banners all around my house of fanciful words.
8. I love all the masks we have in the store, but for some reason, this bear is my favorite. His face reminds me of old drawings from The Three Little Bears. This would make a mighty fine photobooth prop.
See you next week, for a summertime circus post! Au Revoir!